|By Marketwired .||
|September 28, 2010 09:03 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 09/28/10 -- RainStor, an infrastructure software company specializing in online data retention and retrieval, today introduced the Big Data Retention Calculator. Quantifying the benefits of implementing an OLDR (Online Data Retention) strategy for managing large and growing volumes of data long term, the calculator delivers a detailed executive report that highlights TCO and savings on storage, infrastructure and administration costs while reducing liability and complying with regulations.
RainStor's patented technology ingests and manages Big Data more efficiently, enabling organizations to preserve historical data online with minimal effort, realizing storage, hardware and operational savings up to 10x less than a traditional database. With the ability to ingest tens of billions of records per day, RainStor de-duplicates structured data at compression rates of 40:1 or higher, delivering greater than 97 percent storage savings. The combination of RainStor's Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) architecture and support for on premise commodity hardware and the cloud delivers low-cost scalability with minimal administration.
"Compliant structured data retention is fast becoming the #1 imperative for businesses worldwide," explained Ramon Chen, VP of product management at RainStor. "With data growth rates increasing exponentially, the time is right for a new class of online data retention repository to address this Big Data problem. Our partners are delivering RainStor embedded solutions with economics far exceeding other offerings in the market today."
As data volumes multiply and compliance regulations become more stringent, an OLDR solution, which provides specialized capabilities and tangible economic benefits, makes sense for long-term retention of critical data. The Big Data Calculator quantifies the benefits of a specialized data retention solution, with custom input based on current costs, regulations and anticipated data growth. The calculator forecasts TCO and savings to the business in each of the following areas:
- Data storage reduction -- Savings from reducing production storage and moving static data to lower cost tiered storage, while maintaining online access
- Infrastructure -- Savings from reducing the need for RAM and CPU upgrades by reducing table and index sizes to improve performance and response times
- Administration & Maintenance -- Savings from smaller production databases reducing specialist administrative time for scale-up, backup, test, QA and application migrations
- Compliance, fines, reduced liability & efficiency -- Savings from configurable retention policies to guarantee compliance, eliminate fines and reduced liabilities.
"Most organizations don't have a very intelligent view of data retention; if anything, they are focused on getting it saved fast enough, storing it and keeping it," said Merv Adrian, founder of IT Market Strategy. "But the big issue with retention is subsequent usage and very few organizations actually have a policy for how to store data effectively in a way that will allow them to re-use it later."
To run the Big Data Retention Calculator against your own business demands, send an e-mail to email@example.com. To download a free white paper on Big Data Retention, http://rainstor.com/news-blog/resource-library.
- Webinar "Big Data Retention -- Opportunity or Burden?" featuring industry analyst Merv Adrian and RainStor VP of product development, Ramon Chen: http://rainstor.com/news-blog/events
- Big Data Retention overview video: http://rainstor.com/news-blog/video-library
- Big Data Retention Calculator overview and related white papers: http://rainstor.com/news-blog/resource-library
RainStor is a technology pioneer in online information preservation. The company's specialized data repository significantly reduces the total cost of retaining data through extreme data reduction, simplified data management and near-perfect scalability on commodity hardware. RainStor solutions are deployed by technology partners across multiple industries and include Informatica, Adaptive Mobile and On Point Technology to reduce the cost and complexity of preserving information in the enterprise or the cloud. RainStor solutions include application and database archiving, application retirement, SaaS Data Escrow and data warehouse archiving.
Kulesa Faul for RainStor
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- The Future of Cloud Computing
- Cloud Expo New York Call for Papers Now Open
- Cloud Expo 2011 East To Attract 10,000 Delegates and 200 Exhibitors
- The Cloud Computing Kettle Heats Right Up
- Did Google's Eric Schmidt Coin "Cloud Computing"?
- Cloud Computing Is Far More Than Just Cutting Enterprise IT Costs
- SYS-CON's 1st International Cloud Computing Conference & Expo: Show Report
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft - Big Three Cloud Providers Examined
- Ray Ozzie: Who Can Keep Microsoft From "Growing Old Inside"?